UCan2 dancers are entered for the New Zealand Federal Association of Teachers of Dancing (NZFATD) medals. Leisure and Elementary Medallion Tests are prepared in the 'social level' classes (ie. Adult Improvers and Intermediate and Kids & Teens Beginner, Improvers and Intermediate levels).
These Medal Tests can be either style specific, or mixed styles. From there, you can move on to Advanced Medals.
The Medal Programme prepares students for Advanced Medals and is for those who have completed a minimum of Intermediate level and would like to continue to learn at a more technical level.
Advanced Medals commence at Bronze, through to Gold, then Gold Bars (4), Gold Star, Bars to Gold Star (4), finally arriving at the pinnacle which is the Oscar. It's a long journey - worth every minute! All Advanced Medals are style-specific, so you go from Bronze to Oscar in each style - Ballroom, Latin American, New Vogue, Classical Sequence.
It takes two terms to prepare for each of these Advanced Medals, so you need to join the class at the beginning of Term 1 or Term 3. The Medal Tests are at the end of Term 2 and Term 4.
- Bronze / Silver Medal Class: prepare for Advanced Bronze Medals, Bronze Bars and Silver Medals in Ballroom & Latin American.
- Gold Medal Class: prepare for Advanced Silver Bars, Gold Medals and Gold Bars in Ballroom and Latin American. Participation in holiday and mini workshops is strongly recommended where possible.
- Gold Star and above: it is necessary to have a regular private lesson to ensure you reach the required level for these medals.
There are separate classes for Adults and Kids & Teens at Bronze/Silver, and the classes are 1 hour and 25 minutes long, to allow more time to learn all the routines and work on technique.
Our Kids & Teens classes, Medal Programme, and Training Squad sessions all run according to school term dates:-
- Term 1: Tues 6th February - Sun 15th April (10 weeks)
- Term Break: 2-weeks
- Term 2: Tues 1st May - Sun 8th July (10 weeks)
- Term Break: 2-weeks
- Term 3: Tues 24th July - Sun 30th September (10 weeks)
- Term Break: 2-weeks (Kids & Teens Dancesport classes only)
- Term 4: please check later for details (10 weeks)