Useful Dance-Related Sites
We have assembled a list of useful websites and resources to help you along your dance journey. Feel free to contact us with any other useful links and resources you feel would be beneficial to our dancers.
- Dance Sites
- Dance Video Channels
- Dance Shoes
- Practice Wear, Materials, Costumes, Accessories
- Dancesport Photography
- Music, Dance DVDs, Technique DVDs & Books
- Interesting Sites
- Places to Dance
- Australian Championships with National status
- Dancesport NZ: Representing New Zealand's Dancesport Community (www.dancesport.org.nz)
- NZFATD: The New Zealand Federal Association of Teachers of Dancing Inc. (www.nzfatd.co.nz)
- World Dancesport Federation: World governing body for DanceSport (www.worlddancesport.org)
- Dancesport Australia: The governing body for DanceSport in Australia (www.dancesport.org.au)
- Dancesport Info: The Dancers' Website (www.dancesportinfo.net)
- DancePlaza: Dancesport news, competition results & photos (www.danceplaza.com)
- FATD Australia: Federal Association Teachers of Dance (www.fatd.com.au)
Dance Video Channels
- DanceSport Total's YouTube Channel (www.youtube.com/dancesporttotal)
- Pure Dance New Zealand: Ballet Shoes, Leotards, Dance Shoes (www.puredance.co.nz)
- Marie's Dance Boutique: Dancewear, Shoes, Accessories (www.mariesdanceboutique.com)
- Supashoes Australia: Dancesport, Jazz, Tap & Ballet Shoes (www.supashoes.com.au)
- Shop 4 Dancer: Ballroom, Latin, Teaching/Practice Shoes (www.shop4dancer.net)
- Dance Naturals Australia: Ballroom & Latin Dance Shoes (www.dancenaturals.com.au)
- Ray Rose Australia: Ballroom & Latin Dance Shoes (www.rayrose.com.au)
- Dancesport Shoes: Ballroom Dance Shoes (www.dancesportshoes.com)
- Rummos UK: Ballroom, Tango & Latin Dance Shoes (www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes)
- Supadance UK: Ballroom, Latin Dance Shoes & Apparel (www.supadance.com)
- Paoul Italy: Italian Dance Shoes (www.paoul.com)
- Boyles Shoes Australia: (Facebook or Phone 0800 446-098)
Practice Wear, Materials, Costumes, Accessories
- DW Danse Couture: Ballroom & Latin Couture (Facebook or email email@example.com)
- Payne Tailors: Men's Tails & Stylish Tailored Clothes (www.paynetailors.co.nz)
- June Designs Australia: Competition & Practice Attire (www.junedesigns.net)
- DSI London: Ballroom & Latin Dresses and Shoes (www.dsi-london.com)
- Noschese Italy: Ballroom & Latin Dancewear(www.noschesedancing.com)
- Mr Bojangles Australia: Menswear, Womenswear, Shoes & Couture (www.mrbojanglesaustralia.com)
- Dance Fabrics Direct: Dance & Competition Fabric Specialists (www.dancefabrics.co.nz)
- Angel Fabrics Auckland: Dance & Competition Fabric Specialists (www.angelfabrics.co.nz)
- Chrisanne UK: Couture, Fabrics, Dance Accessories & Dancewear (www.chrisanne.com)
Music, Dance DVDs, Technique DVDs & Books
- DSI London: Dance Music CDs (www.dsi-london.com/dance-cd.html)
- DSI London: Dance Technique & Competition DVDs (www.dsi-london.com/dvds.html)
- DSI London: Dance Technique Books (www.dsi-london.com/dance-books.html)
- Get Songs BPM: Ballroom & Latin - in measures/bars per minute (getsongbpm.com/dancing )
- Wedding Planner: Everything to help you with your wedding (www.nzweddingplanner.co.nz)
- Elements of Dance Etiquette (www.utdallas.edu/~aria/dance/etiquette.html#Intro)
Places to Dance
- Where to Dance: Auckland dance events, bands, dance classes & partners (www.wheretodance.co.nz)
Australian Championships with National Status
- Australian Dancesport Championships: Melbourne - December (www.theaustralianchampionship.com.au)
- National Capital Dancesport Championships, Canberra - June (www.ncdccanberra.com.au)
- South Pacific Dancesport Championships: Sydney - September/October (www.southpacificdancesport.com.au)
- East Coast Classic National Championship: Sydney - November (www.australiandancingsociety.com.au)
- Night of Stars Western Australia - June (www.dancesport.org.au/index.php/western-australia/web-links/dance-societies)
- Crown International Dancesport Championships, Melbourne - April (www.crowndanceevents.com.au)
- Jupiters National Dancesport Championships, Gold Coast - Easter (www.qldopen.com.au)
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you'll find answers to the questions we get asked the most often about our dance classes.
If you're question's not listed, then please ask us - as others may benefit from your question too!
- Do I need a partner?
- Do we have to change partners?
- What should I wear and do I need dance shoes?
- What if I haven't done any dancing before?
- When does a new course start?
- "Where do I start?" and "Where do I go from here?!"
- Do you offer special deals on multiple courses?
- How can I pay for my classes?
- Do you have a brochure for more information?
No. Both ladies and gentlemen often come to our dance classes on their own. During our classes, you will be asked to partner up with another student; we also change partners during the class. If there are insufficient partner numbers in the class, then occasionally you may need to dance without a partner for a single music track, while available partners rotate around the class.
Not if you really don't want to! An important part of learning to dance is learning to 'drive a new model'. However, if you prefer, you may stay together.
Wear something comfortable - you are likely to get a bit hot. Shoes that stay on your feet are all that's required at Beginner level.
That's what our Beginners course is for. The classes are aimed at those who have never danced before. Find out more about our range of dance classes.
Our Ballroom & Latin American and Street Latin courses all start the 1st week of each month (excluding December), so you will never have to wait long before joining a new course. You are welcome to come and view a class from our mezzanine if you would like, before joining on the first week of the month.
- Adult Beginners Ballroom & Latin American commences the 1st Wednesday of each month (excluding December when there are no classes).
- Adult Improvers Ballroom & Latin American commences the 1st Wednesday of each month (excluding December when there are no classes).
- Adult Intermediate Ballroom & Latin American commences the 1st Thursday of each month (excluding December when there are no classes).
- Adult Beginners Street Latin commences the 1st Tuesday of each month (excluding December when there are no classes).
- Adult Improvers Street Latin commences the 1st Tuesday of each month (excluding December when there are no classes).
To give you an opportunity to 'try before you buy' at Beginners, Improvers and Intermediate levels, we have scheduled some Free Introductory nights through the year. This is a great chance to try out a class before committing to a whole course. There is no obligation - just turn up and enjoy a class. 10% discount if you sign up on the night. Check our Free Class Calendar for the next Free Intro Classes.
For an explanation of the levels available to dancers who may want to progress from Beginners to a Medal or Competition Dancers, check out Dance Class Styles.
Don't panic, it's a natural progression ... and we'll be with you all the way.
The following steps in your dance path will help guide you:-
Step 1: 'Social' Dancing for Beginners
In our Beginner Ballroom & Latin American dance course, you learn the basic steps to: Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Rock 'n Roll, Foxtrot, Quickstep, and Waltz. Note: You may repeat this course as often as you like - without paying any extra - for 12 months from the date of your registration.
In our Beginner Street Latin dance course, you learn the basic steps to: Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, and Argentine Tango. Note: You may repeat this course as often as you like - without paying any extra - for 12 months from the date of your registration.
Step 2: 'Social' Dancing for Improvers
When you feel you are confident with all the steps taught at Beginner level, you are welcome to join our Improver Ballroom & Latin American dance course and/or Improver Street Latin dance course. In these classes, you will continue learning more adventurous steps in the dances taught at Beginner level. Note: You may repeat your respective Improver course as often as you like - without paying any extra - for 6 months from the date of your registration.
Step 3: Intermediate Ballroom & Latin American
This is where the fun begins! In our Intermediate Ballroom & Latin American dance course, you learn: Tango, Rumba, Jive, Viennese Waltz and Slow Foxtrot.
Moving on up - for those whom would like to learn more!
If you've progressed through Steps 1-3 and would like to try something different...
Step 4: New Vogue
In our New Vogue dance course you learn: New Vogue Waltzes, Foxtrots, Tangos and Marches.
Step 5: Medal Classes (NZFATD Medals)
Step 6: Training Squad
Our Adult Training Squad and Kids & Teens Training Squad are by invitation only. This includes an in-depth technical training in Ballroom & Latin American and is for competition dancers and high medal levels. Please refer to the Competition Training page for further details.
We accept cash, Eftpos, Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards for your convenience.
Yes we do. You can download our UCan2 Dance Classes, Schedule & Prices brochure.